Both The Artist and Hugo, the top contenders to win the Best Picture Oscar this Sunday, are being called "valentines" to the Golden Age of Hollywood — an era that spanned the late '20s to the early '60s, when color television and cynicism conspired to deflate the movie industry. With Sunday's telecast set to pay homage to that time, here's a look back at stars at their glitziest — on Academy Awards night:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week