Both The Artist and Hugo, the top contenders to win the Best Picture Oscar this Sunday, are being called "valentines" to the Golden Age of Hollywood — an era that spanned the late '20s to the early '60s, when color television and cynicism conspired to deflate the movie industry. With Sunday's telecast set to pay homage to that time, here's a look back at stars at their glitziest — on Academy Awards night:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week