oth The Artist and Hugo, the top contenders to win the Best Picture Oscar this Sunday, are being called "valentines" to the Golden Age of Hollywood — an era that spanned the late '20s to the early '60s, when color television and cynicism conspired to deflate the movie industry. With Sunday's telecast set to pay homage to that time, here's a look back at stars at their glitziest — on Academy Awards night:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- How to flirt, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- This Japanese toilet should make Americans very worried
Subscribe to the Week