Both The Artist and Hugo, the top contenders to win the Best Picture Oscar this Sunday, are being called "valentines" to the Golden Age of Hollywood — an era that spanned the late '20s to the early '60s, when color television and cynicism conspired to deflate the movie industry. With Sunday's telecast set to pay homage to that time, here's a look back at stars at their glitziest — on Academy Awards night:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week