oth The Artist and Hugo, the top contenders to win the Best Picture Oscar this Sunday, are being called "valentines" to the Golden Age of Hollywood — an era that spanned the late '20s to the early '60s, when color television and cynicism conspired to deflate the movie industry. With Sunday's telecast set to pay homage to that time, here's a look back at stars at their glitziest — on Academy Awards night:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week