Why rent a weekend retreat when you can own one? These four family-friendly compounds tucked into New York's Adirondack mountain range boast lake access, screened-in porches, updated mess halls, and, in the case of this property in Lake Pleasant, N.Y., even a golf course. Here a look at the best upstate estates on the market. For more information about any of the properties listed in this slideshow, please contact the real estate agent listed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week