Why rent a weekend retreat when you can own one? These four family-friendly compounds tucked into New York's Adirondack mountain range boast lake access, screened-in porches, updated mess halls, and, in the case of this property in Lake Pleasant, N.Y., even a golf course. Here a look at the best upstate estates on the market. For more information about any of the properties listed in this slideshow, please contact the real estate agent listed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The best books we read in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
Subscribe to the Week