hen Universal pulled the plug last summer on its planned $100-million Ouija film, based on the popular game that supposedly allows players to channel spirits through a wooden board, the idea seemed dead. But now Ouija has come back to life as a $5 million found-footage thriller. Critics are predictably "baffled" by the project — though it may not even be the most unlikely board game to find second life as a film. Here, six more:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week