When Universal pulled the plug last summer on its planned $100-million Ouija film, based on the popular game that supposedly allows players to channel spirits through a wooden board, the idea seemed dead. But now Ouija has come back to life as a $5 million found-footage thriller. Critics are predictably "baffled" by the project — though it may not even be the most unlikely board game to find second life as a film. Here, six more:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Can the U.S. Army degrade and destroy Ebola?
Subscribe to the Week