hen Universal pulled the plug last summer on its planned $100-million Ouija film, based on the popular game that supposedly allows players to channel spirits through a wooden board, the idea seemed dead. But now Ouija has come back to life as a $5 million found-footage thriller. Critics are predictably "baffled" by the project — though it may not even be the most unlikely board game to find second life as a film. Here, six more:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week