When Universal pulled the plug last summer on its planned $100-million Ouija film, based on the popular game that supposedly allows players to channel spirits through a wooden board, the idea seemed dead. But now Ouija has come back to life as a $5 million found-footage thriller. Critics are predictably "baffled" by the project — though it may not even be the most unlikely board game to find second life as a film. Here, six more:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
Subscribe to the Week