loria and Smokey Wist, backers of GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich, show off their patriotic best in Sumter County, Fla., on Jan. 29, two days before Mitt Romney walloped Newt in the Sunshine State. Of course, the Wists aren't alone in strutting their stuff. From wacky hats to glitter accessories, Americans know how to use fashion to broadcast their politics. Here, a look at the most outlandish looks on the campaign trail:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week