Gloria and Smokey Wist, backers of GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich, show off their patriotic best in Sumter County, Fla., on Jan. 29, two days before Mitt Romney walloped Newt in the Sunshine State. Of course, the Wists aren't alone in strutting their stuff. From wacky hats to glitter accessories, Americans know how to use fashion to broadcast their politics. Here, a look at the most outlandish looks on the campaign trail:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The militarization of America’s police
- This Indian meal service is so efficient it's the envy of FedEx
Subscribe to the Week