Gloria and Smokey Wist, backers of GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich, show off their patriotic best in Sumter County, Fla., on Jan. 29, two days before Mitt Romney walloped Newt in the Sunshine State. Of course, the Wists aren't alone in strutting their stuff. From wacky hats to glitter accessories, Americans know how to use fashion to broadcast their politics. Here, a look at the most outlandish looks on the campaign trail:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week