Gloria and Smokey Wist, backers of GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich, show off their patriotic best in Sumter County, Fla., on Jan. 29, two days before Mitt Romney walloped Newt in the Sunshine State. Of course, the Wists aren't alone in strutting their stuff. From wacky hats to glitter accessories, Americans know how to use fashion to broadcast their politics. Here, a look at the most outlandish looks on the campaign trail:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week