Gloria and Smokey Wist, backers of GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich, show off their patriotic best in Sumter County, Fla., on Jan. 29, two days before Mitt Romney walloped Newt in the Sunshine State. Of course, the Wists aren't alone in strutting their stuff. From wacky hats to glitter accessories, Americans know how to use fashion to broadcast their politics. Here, a look at the most outlandish looks on the campaign trail:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- The week's best photojournalism
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Black Death
Subscribe to the Week