Decades before Richard Nixon resigned the presidency in disgrace, he was just another love-struck young man. And now, the notoriously paranoid and profane Republican's mushy letters to his then-future wife, Pat, are on display at his presidential library in California. Here, Nixon takes a private walk in the 1970s with the woman he once called his "Irish gypsy." Click through for more revelations from Nixon's love letters:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week