outh by Southwest, the combination film-music-tech festival that takes place each spring in Austin, TX, has proven to be one of pop culture's most reliable launching grounds. Last year alone, the festival — better known as SXSW — premiered Bridesmaids and kickstarted pop-rockers Foster the People's hit streak. Now that the festival's over, here's a look at the movies, TV shows, and more that got people talking in Austin:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week