Disney is expected to suffer a mammoth financial loss on the release of its Martian misadventure, John Carter. After the sci-fi epic's production budget and marketing costs ballooned to an estimated $350 million, the company was projecting a $90 million loss, but the final damage is now expected to be more like $200 million. How does John Carter fare among the biggest movie flops of all time? Here's an unranked look:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week