Disney is expected to suffer a mammoth financial loss on the release of its Martian misadventure, John Carter. After the sci-fi epic's production budget and marketing costs ballooned to an estimated $350 million, the company was projecting a $90 million loss, but the final damage is now expected to be more like $200 million. How does John Carter fare among the biggest movie flops of all time? Here's an unranked look:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How science can help you survive scary movies
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week