isney is expected to suffer a mammoth financial loss on the release of its Martian misadventure, John Carter. After the sci-fi epic's production budget and marketing costs ballooned to an estimated $350 million, the company was projecting a $90 million loss, but the final damage is now expected to be more like $200 million. How does John Carter fare among the biggest movie flops of all time? Here's an unranked look:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why you're probably drinking your beer all wrong
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week