Disney is expected to suffer a mammoth financial loss on the release of its Martian misadventure, John Carter. After the sci-fi epic's production budget and marketing costs ballooned to an estimated $350 million, the company was projecting a $90 million loss, but the final damage is now expected to be more like $200 million. How does John Carter fare among the biggest movie flops of all time? Here's an unranked look:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
Subscribe to the Week