Disney is expected to suffer a mammoth financial loss on the release of its Martian misadventure, John Carter. After the sci-fi epic's production budget and marketing costs ballooned to an estimated $350 million, the company was projecting a $90 million loss, but the final damage is now expected to be more like $200 million. How does John Carter fare among the biggest movie flops of all time? Here's an unranked look:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
Subscribe to the Week