harles Manson burst into the American consciousness in the summer of 1969, in a kind of psychotic coda to a decade better known for hippie love. The leader of a religious-sexual cult known as The Family, Manson was sentenced to life in prison for leading a murderous rampage that killed seven people. On Wednesday, he will be up for parole for the 12th time. Here, a look back at Manson's life.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week