Only time will tell whether "Forward" will prove as iconic a motto for Barack Obama in 2012 as "Change" was in 2008. And "Forward" might not even last. After all, Team Obama has tried and abandoned several other slogans, including "Winning the Future," "We Can't Wait," "An America Built to Last," and "We Don't Quit." Here, a historic look back at other candidates' memorable (or forgettable) presidential campaign slogans:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week