Only time will tell whether "Forward" will prove as iconic a motto for Barack Obama in 2012 as "Change" was in 2008. And "Forward" might not even last. After all, Team Obama has tried and abandoned several other slogans, including "Winning the Future," "We Can't Wait," "An America Built to Last," and "We Don't Quit." Here, a historic look back at other candidates' memorable (or forgettable) presidential campaign slogans:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week