Only time will tell whether "Forward" will prove as iconic a motto for Barack Obama in 2012 as "Change" was in 2008. And "Forward" might not even last. After all, Team Obama has tried and abandoned several other slogans, including "Winning the Future," "We Can't Wait," "An America Built to Last," and "We Don't Quit." Here, a historic look back at other candidates' memorable (or forgettable) presidential campaign slogans:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- These vintage Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons offer a delightful glimpse into pop culture past
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week