Only time will tell whether "Forward" will prove as iconic a motto for Barack Obama in 2012 as "Change" was in 2008. And "Forward" might not even last. After all, Team Obama has tried and abandoned several other slogans, including "Winning the Future," "We Can't Wait," "An America Built to Last," and "We Don't Quit." Here, a historic look back at other candidates' memorable (or forgettable) presidential campaign slogans:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week