A year after gutsy U.S. commandos snuck into Pakistan to take out Osama bin Laden, President Obama secretly hopped aboard Air Force One for a surprise trip to Afghanistan. The commander-in-chief gave a globally broadcast speech Tuesday, and signed a long-term deal with Afghan President Hamid Karzai that all but guarantees that some U.S. troops will remain in the troubled country until at least 2024.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week