A year after gutsy U.S. commandos snuck into Pakistan to take out Osama bin Laden, President Obama secretly hopped aboard Air Force One for a surprise trip to Afghanistan. The commander-in-chief gave a globally broadcast speech Tuesday, and signed a long-term deal with Afghan President Hamid Karzai that all but guarantees that some U.S. troops will remain in the troubled country until at least 2024.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week