A year after gutsy U.S. commandos snuck into Pakistan to take out Osama bin Laden, President Obama secretly hopped aboard Air Force One for a surprise trip to Afghanistan. The commander-in-chief gave a globally broadcast speech Tuesday, and signed a long-term deal with Afghan President Hamid Karzai that all but guarantees that some U.S. troops will remain in the troubled country until at least 2024.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
Subscribe to the Week