A year after gutsy U.S. commandos snuck into Pakistan to take out Osama bin Laden, President Obama secretly hopped aboard Air Force One for a surprise trip to Afghanistan. The commander-in-chief gave a globally broadcast speech Tuesday, and signed a long-term deal with Afghan President Hamid Karzai that all but guarantees that some U.S. troops will remain in the troubled country until at least 2024.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How I lost all my money
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Diagnosing Die Hard's craziest injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week