President Obama completed his sometimes-awkward "evolution" on a hot-button social issue by declaring on national TV that "same-sex couples should be able to get married." The timing wasn't ideal — Vice President Joe Biden forced Obama's hand by announcing the same thing days before, and North Carolinians just voted overwhelmingly to ban gay marriage. Will backing gay marriage help Obama, or hurt him?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Diagnosing Die Hard's craziest injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week