President Obama completed his sometimes-awkward "evolution" on a hot-button social issue by declaring on national TV that "same-sex couples should be able to get married." The timing wasn't ideal — Vice President Joe Biden forced Obama's hand by announcing the same thing days before, and North Carolinians just voted overwhelmingly to ban gay marriage. Will backing gay marriage help Obama, or hurt him?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Girls on Film: Belle is one of the most groundbreaking, joyous movies of the summer
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
Subscribe to the Week