President Obama completed his sometimes-awkward "evolution" on a hot-button social issue by declaring on national TV that "same-sex couples should be able to get married." The timing wasn't ideal — Vice President Joe Biden forced Obama's hand by announcing the same thing days before, and North Carolinians just voted overwhelmingly to ban gay marriage. Will backing gay marriage help Obama, or hurt him?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week