President Obama completed his sometimes-awkward "evolution" on a hot-button social issue by declaring on national TV that "same-sex couples should be able to get married." The timing wasn't ideal — Vice President Joe Biden forced Obama's hand by announcing the same thing days before, and North Carolinians just voted overwhelmingly to ban gay marriage. Will backing gay marriage help Obama, or hurt him?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week