President Obama completed his sometimes-awkward "evolution" on a hot-button social issue by declaring on national TV that "same-sex couples should be able to get married." The timing wasn't ideal — Vice President Joe Biden forced Obama's hand by announcing the same thing days before, and North Carolinians just voted overwhelmingly to ban gay marriage. Will backing gay marriage help Obama, or hurt him?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The economics of Halloween: By the numbers
Subscribe to the Week