The "song of the summer" is an informal title that's been used since 1965, when the Beach Boys had a nation of sunbathers all singing along to "California Girls." Last year, by general consensus, LMFAO's ubiquitous "Party Rock Anthem" became the inescapable earworm that defined the season. As Memorial Day weekend unofficially kicks off summer, here's a look at some early contenders for 2012's honor:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- How Rand Paul's GOP opponents will use his minority outreach against him
Subscribe to the Week