he "song of the summer" is an informal title that's been used since 1965, when the Beach Boys had a nation of sunbathers all singing along to "California Girls." Last year, by general consensus, LMFAO's ubiquitous "Party Rock Anthem" became the inescapable earworm that defined the season. As Memorial Day weekend unofficially kicks off summer, here's a look at some early contenders for 2012's honor:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Time Warner Cable is raising your monthly rate again
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
- 2 proven ways to increase your willpower — courtesy of the Cookie Monster
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- How do you weaponize a rabbit?
Subscribe to the Week