he "song of the summer" is an informal title that's been used since 1965, when the Beach Boys had a nation of sunbathers all singing along to "California Girls." Last year, by general consensus, LMFAO's ubiquitous "Party Rock Anthem" became the inescapable earworm that defined the season. As Memorial Day weekend unofficially kicks off summer, here's a look at some early contenders for 2012's honor:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week