The "song of the summer" is an informal title that's been used since 1965, when the Beach Boys had a nation of sunbathers all singing along to "California Girls." Last year, by general consensus, LMFAO's ubiquitous "Party Rock Anthem" became the inescapable earworm that defined the season. As Memorial Day weekend unofficially kicks off summer, here's a look at some early contenders for 2012's honor:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week