The "song of the summer" is an informal title that's been used since 1965, when the Beach Boys had a nation of sunbathers all singing along to "California Girls." Last year, by general consensus, LMFAO's ubiquitous "Party Rock Anthem" became the inescapable earworm that defined the season. As Memorial Day weekend unofficially kicks off summer, here's a look at some early contenders for 2012's honor:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week