The "song of the summer" is an informal title that's been used since 1965, when the Beach Boys had a nation of sunbathers all singing along to "California Girls." Last year, by general consensus, LMFAO's ubiquitous "Party Rock Anthem" became the inescapable earworm that defined the season. As Memorial Day weekend unofficially kicks off summer, here's a look at some early contenders for 2012's honor:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week