Marvel's Astonishing X-Men mutant superhero Northstar made history in 1992 when he declared, "I am gay." He'll do so again by proposing to his boyfriend Kyle in an upcoming issue. Meanwhile, DC Comics announces that one of its "major iconic" superheroes will also come out of the closet this June. "This is a huge deal," says Entertainment Weekly. Here's a look at the growing number of gay comic book characters:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week