Marvel's Astonishing X-Men mutant superhero Northstar made history in 1992 when he declared, "I am gay." He'll do so again by proposing to his boyfriend Kyle in an upcoming issue. Meanwhile, DC Comics announces that one of its "major iconic" superheroes will also come out of the closet this June. "This is a huge deal," says Entertainment Weekly. Here's a look at the growing number of gay comic book characters:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week