Marvel's Astonishing X-Men mutant superhero Northstar made history in 1992 when he declared, "I am gay." He'll do so again by proposing to his boyfriend Kyle in an upcoming issue. Meanwhile, DC Comics announces that one of its "major iconic" superheroes will also come out of the closet this June. "This is a huge deal," says Entertainment Weekly. Here's a look at the growing number of gay comic book characters:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week