Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer, which means many Americans will be lining up for the ultimate summer thrill ride: The roller coaster. Daredevils have spent more than a century chasing the adrenaline rush that comes from defying physics — if only briefly — while zipping around the track. Here, a look at history's most popular roller coasters, from classic wooden rides to new thrills opening this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week