Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer, which means many Americans will be lining up for the ultimate summer thrill ride: The roller coaster. Daredevils have spent more than a century chasing the adrenaline rush that comes from defying physics — if only briefly — while zipping around the track. Here, a look at history's most popular roller coasters, from classic wooden rides to new thrills opening this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week