emorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer, which means many Americans will be lining up for the ultimate summer thrill ride: The roller coaster. Daredevils have spent more than a century chasing the adrenaline rush that comes from defying physics — if only briefly — while zipping around the track. Here, a look at history's most popular roller coasters, from classic wooden rides to new thrills opening this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week