Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer, which means many Americans will be lining up for the ultimate summer thrill ride: The roller coaster. Daredevils have spent more than a century chasing the adrenaline rush that comes from defying physics — if only briefly — while zipping around the track. Here, a look at history's most popular roller coasters, from classic wooden rides to new thrills opening this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week