emorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer, which means many Americans will be lining up for the ultimate summer thrill ride: The roller coaster. Daredevils have spent more than a century chasing the adrenaline rush that comes from defying physics — if only briefly — while zipping around the track. Here, a look at history's most popular roller coasters, from classic wooden rides to new thrills opening this summer:
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Did God have a wife?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week