ast year's Cannes International Film Festival awarded its coveted Palme d'Or grand prize to the polarizing, trippy Tree of Life and hosted the premiere of The Artist, which received a 20-minute standing ovation. This year's festival, the 65th, saw the likes of Brad Pitt, Nicole Kidman, and Bill Murray descend on the Croisette. Will any of their films emerge as awards contenders? Here, 10 films to look out for from this year's Cannes Film Festival:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week