Last year's Cannes International Film Festival awarded its coveted Palme d'Or grand prize to the polarizing, trippy Tree of Life and hosted the premiere of The Artist, which received a 20-minute standing ovation. This year's festival, the 65th, saw the likes of Brad Pitt, Nicole Kidman, and Bill Murray descend on the Croisette. Will any of their films emerge as awards contenders? Here, 10 films to look out for from this year's Cannes Film Festival:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week