Summer months were once considered barren doldrums lacking any good TV, but recent years have seen the period nearly as packed with quality series as the traditional September-to-May TV season. Chief example: Breaking Bad, AMC's transfixing drama about a conflicted drug-dealing family man, returns for its fifth season on July 15. Here, a look at eight other new and returning shows worthy of your attention this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week