Summer months were once considered barren doldrums lacking any good TV, but recent years have seen the period nearly as packed with quality series as the traditional September-to-May TV season. Chief example: Breaking Bad, AMC's transfixing drama about a conflicted drug-dealing family man, returns for its fifth season on July 15. Here, a look at eight other new and returning shows worthy of your attention this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
- Meet the 11 condoms of the future selected by Bill Gates
- How neuroscience can help us understand political partisanship
Subscribe to the Week