Summer months were once considered barren doldrums lacking any good TV, but recent years have seen the period nearly as packed with quality series as the traditional September-to-May TV season. Chief example: Breaking Bad, AMC's transfixing drama about a conflicted drug-dealing family man, returns for its fifth season on July 15. Here, a look at eight other new and returning shows worthy of your attention this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week