Summer months were once considered barren doldrums lacking any good TV, but recent years have seen the period nearly as packed with quality series as the traditional September-to-May TV season. Chief example: Breaking Bad, AMC's transfixing drama about a conflicted drug-dealing family man, returns for its fifth season on July 15. Here, a look at eight other new and returning shows worthy of your attention this summer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
Subscribe to the Week