Fifty years ago this week, three intrepid Alcatraz inmates escaped the inescapable using only spoons and a raft made of raincoats. Of the 36 inmates who tried to flee the prison, Frank Morris and brothers Clarence and John Anglin are the only ones who weren't recaptured or killed and federal officials are still searching for them. Click through for a look at the infamous escape from "The Rock."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
Subscribe to the Week