ifty years ago this week, three intrepid Alcatraz inmates escaped the inescapable using only spoons and a raft made of raincoats. Of the 36 inmates who tried to flee the prison, Frank Morris and brothers Clarence and John Anglin are the only ones who weren't recaptured or killed and federal officials are still searching for them. Click through for a look at the infamous escape from "The Rock."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week