ifty years ago this week, three intrepid Alcatraz inmates escaped the inescapable using only spoons and a raft made of raincoats. Of the 36 inmates who tried to flee the prison, Frank Morris and brothers Clarence and John Anglin are the only ones who weren't recaptured or killed and federal officials are still searching for them. Click through for a look at the infamous escape from "The Rock."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
Subscribe to the Week