Fifty years ago this week, three intrepid Alcatraz inmates escaped the inescapable using only spoons and a raft made of raincoats. Of the 36 inmates who tried to flee the prison, Frank Morris and brothers Clarence and John Anglin are the only ones who weren't recaptured or killed and federal officials are still searching for them. Click through for a look at the infamous escape from "The Rock."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- This week I learned that alcohol boosts your sense of smell, and more
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
Subscribe to the Week