Fifty years ago this week, three intrepid Alcatraz inmates escaped the inescapable using only spoons and a raft made of raincoats. Of the 36 inmates who tried to flee the prison, Frank Morris and brothers Clarence and John Anglin are the only ones who weren't recaptured or killed and federal officials are still searching for them. Click through for a look at the infamous escape from "The Rock."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week