American underwater star Michael Phelps returns to the pool four years after winning eight gold medals in Beijing — the record for most golds won in a single Olympics. With 16 medals to his name, the 26-year-old swimmer needs just three more to be the most decorated Olympian ever. But Phelps isn't the only homegrown draw at the London games, which begin July 27. Here, nine other U.S. athletes to keep an eye on:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
Subscribe to the Week