American underwater star Michael Phelps returns to the pool four years after winning eight gold medals in Beijing — the record for most golds won in a single Olympics. With 16 medals to his name, the 26-year-old swimmer needs just three more to be the most decorated Olympian ever. But Phelps isn't the only homegrown draw at the London games, which begin July 27. Here, nine other U.S. athletes to keep an eye on:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week