American underwater star Michael Phelps returns to the pool four years after winning eight gold medals in Beijing — the record for most golds won in a single Olympics. With 16 medals to his name, the 26-year-old swimmer needs just three more to be the most decorated Olympian ever. But Phelps isn't the only homegrown draw at the London games, which begin July 27. Here, nine other U.S. athletes to keep an eye on:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week