American underwater star Michael Phelps returns to the pool four years after winning eight gold medals in Beijing — the record for most golds won in a single Olympics. With 16 medals to his name, the 26-year-old swimmer needs just three more to be the most decorated Olympian ever. But Phelps isn't the only homegrown draw at the London games, which begin July 27. Here, nine other U.S. athletes to keep an eye on:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week