merican underwater star Michael Phelps returns to the pool four years after winning eight gold medals in Beijing — the record for most golds won in a single Olympics. With 16 medals to his name, the 26-year-old swimmer needs just three more to be the most decorated Olympian ever. But Phelps isn't the only homegrown draw at the London games, which begin July 27. Here, nine other U.S. athletes to keep an eye on:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Captain America won over China
Subscribe to the Week