Once built to enshrine Buddhist relics across Asia, the pagoda has been adopted by Western homeowners as a refuge from the hustle-and-bustle of life. Whether used for quiet contemplation or much-needed shade (as on this California estate), the multi-tiered structure gives an otherwise predictable backyard a unique accent. For more info on the homes in this slideshow, please contact the realtor listed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Rise of the machines
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
Subscribe to the Week