Once built to enshrine Buddhist relics across Asia, the pagoda has been adopted by Western homeowners as a refuge from the hustle-and-bustle of life. Whether used for quiet contemplation or much-needed shade (as on this California estate), the multi-tiered structure gives an otherwise predictable backyard a unique accent. For more info on the homes in this slideshow, please contact the realtor listed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How I lost all my money
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Pope Francis' American problem
Subscribe to the Week