Once built to enshrine Buddhist relics across Asia, the pagoda has been adopted by Western homeowners as a refuge from the hustle-and-bustle of life. Whether used for quiet contemplation or much-needed shade (as on this California estate), the multi-tiered structure gives an otherwise predictable backyard a unique accent. For more info on the homes in this slideshow, please contact the realtor listed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week