Once built to enshrine Buddhist relics across Asia, the pagoda has been adopted by Western homeowners as a refuge from the hustle-and-bustle of life. Whether used for quiet contemplation or much-needed shade (as on this California estate), the multi-tiered structure gives an otherwise predictable backyard a unique accent. For more info on the homes in this slideshow, please contact the realtor listed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- The next pandemic
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week