A gunman opened fire on an audience attending a midnight screening of the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., killing at least 12 people and wounding dozens more. Police arrested an alleged suspect, whom they identified as former PhD candidate James Holmes, 24. Authorities believe he acted alone, and the FBI said there is no indication that the massacre was related to "any nexus of terrorism."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week