A gunman opened fire on an audience attending a midnight screening of the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., killing at least 12 people and wounding dozens more. Police arrested an alleged suspect, whom they identified as former PhD candidate James Holmes, 24. Authorities believe he acted alone, and the FBI said there is no indication that the massacre was related to "any nexus of terrorism."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week