A gunman opened fire on an audience attending a midnight screening of the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., killing at least 12 people and wounding dozens more. Police arrested an alleged suspect, whom they identified as former PhD candidate James Holmes, 24. Authorities believe he acted alone, and the FBI said there is no indication that the massacre was related to "any nexus of terrorism."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week