A gunman opened fire on an audience attending a midnight screening of the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., killing at least 12 people and wounding dozens more. Police arrested an alleged suspect, whom they identified as former PhD candidate James Holmes, 24. Authorities believe he acted alone, and the FBI said there is no indication that the massacre was related to "any nexus of terrorism."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- 9 dog park rules you should never, ever break
Subscribe to the Week