ith her recent appointment as Yahoo's new CEO, Marissa Mayer joins a still-rather-short line of women who have proven that gender needn't limit ambition. From America's first female astronaut to the baseball pitcher who conquered America's favorite pastime, here's a look back at seven women who fought their way into the Boys Club and helped pave the way for today's female groundbreakers.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The best movies to watch in theaters this month
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week