As the country continued to grapple with the fallout from the theater massacre in Aurora, Colorado — in often disturbing ways — James Holmes, the alleged shooter, made his first appearance in court. New details emerged about Holmes' background, while a debate raged over America's lax gun control laws, which continue to baffle the rest of the world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
Subscribe to the Week