As the country continued to grapple with the fallout from the theater massacre in Aurora, Colorado — in often disturbing ways — James Holmes, the alleged shooter, made his first appearance in court. New details emerged about Holmes' background, while a debate raged over America's lax gun control laws, which continue to baffle the rest of the world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Stop your unpatriotic fearmongering over ISIS
- How to improve your workplace culture
Subscribe to the Week