he Olympics have recognized some truly oddball sports in its history. Take solo synchronized swimming. Though this seeming oxymoron — "pedants maintain that it's the choreography that is synchronized with the music," says the Guardian — was ultimately scrapped, it lasted longer than obstacle swimming course event, and paved the way for team synchronized swimming. Here, nine Olympic curiosities:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week