he Olympics have recognized some truly oddball sports in its history. Take solo synchronized swimming. Though this seeming oxymoron — "pedants maintain that it's the choreography that is synchronized with the music," says the Guardian — was ultimately scrapped, it lasted longer than obstacle swimming course event, and paved the way for team synchronized swimming. Here, nine Olympic curiosities:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
Subscribe to the Week