The Olympics have recognized some truly oddball sports in its history. Take solo synchronized swimming. Though this seeming oxymoron — "pedants maintain that it's the choreography that is synchronized with the music," says the Guardian — was ultimately scrapped, it lasted longer than obstacle swimming course event, and paved the way for team synchronized swimming. Here, nine Olympic curiosities:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Incheon: the next white elephant city
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week