he Olympics may be secular, but the London Games acknowledge the role religion plays in athletes' lives, with venue prayer rooms, a multi-faith center in the Olympic Village, and 193 chaplains on call. Here's a look at 10 Olympians who give their higher powers a shout out, both before — like Brazilian gymnast Ethiene Cristina Gonser Franco — and after their feats of strength.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week