The Olympics may be secular, but the London Games acknowledge the role religion plays in athletes' lives, with venue prayer rooms, a multi-faith center in the Olympic Village, and 193 chaplains on call. Here's a look at 10 Olympians who give their higher powers a shout out, both before — like Brazilian gymnast Ethiene Cristina Gonser Franco — and after their feats of strength.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week