The Olympics may be secular, but the London Games acknowledge the role religion plays in athletes' lives, with venue prayer rooms, a multi-faith center in the Olympic Village, and 193 chaplains on call. Here's a look at 10 Olympians who give their higher powers a shout out, both before — like Brazilian gymnast Ethiene Cristina Gonser Franco — and after their feats of strength.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week