The Olympics may be secular, but the London Games acknowledge the role religion plays in athletes' lives, with venue prayer rooms, a multi-faith center in the Olympic Village, and 193 chaplains on call. Here's a look at 10 Olympians who give their higher powers a shout out, both before — like Brazilian gymnast Ethiene Cristina Gonser Franco — and after their feats of strength.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week