When soccer players trip over a rival (or dramatically pretend to), it can give them control of the ball. But for most Olympians, a fall likely curtails any medal hopes. American gymnast McKayla Maroney — whose near-perfect vault helped earn her team the gold — slipped during the individual vault finals, finishing eighth in an event she was expected to dominate. Click through for nine more catastrophic collapses...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week