When soccer players trip over a rival (or dramatically pretend to), it can give them control of the ball. But for most Olympians, a fall likely curtails any medal hopes. American gymnast McKayla Maroney — whose near-perfect vault helped earn her team the gold — slipped during the individual vault finals, finishing eighth in an event she was expected to dominate. Click through for nine more catastrophic collapses...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 3 key insights about Obama from Chuck Todd's The Stranger
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week