When soccer players trip over a rival (or dramatically pretend to), it can give them control of the ball. But for most Olympians, a fall likely curtails any medal hopes. American gymnast McKayla Maroney — whose near-perfect vault helped earn her team the gold — slipped during the individual vault finals, finishing eighth in an event she was expected to dominate. Click through for nine more catastrophic collapses...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The girl who wouldn't die
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week