When soccer players trip over a rival (or dramatically pretend to), it can give them control of the ball. But for most Olympians, a fall likely curtails any medal hopes. American gymnast McKayla Maroney — whose near-perfect vault helped earn her team the gold — slipped during the individual vault finals, finishing eighth in an event she was expected to dominate. Click through for nine more catastrophic collapses...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week