When soccer players trip over a rival (or dramatically pretend to), it can give them control of the ball. But for most Olympians, a fall likely curtails any medal hopes. American gymnast McKayla Maroney — whose near-perfect vault helped earn her team the gold — slipped during the individual vault finals, finishing eighth in an event she was expected to dominate. Click through for nine more catastrophic collapses...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The psychology of video game addiction
Subscribe to the Week