Most of us will never know what if feels like to win an Olympic medal. But looking at the athletes who do — whether they're slumped in relief or ecstatically jumping like U.S. beach volleyball players Missy May Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings (pictured after winning the gold Aug. 8) — it's easy to see the feeling is transporting. Click through for some of London's most impassioned moments of Olympic triumph.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week