Confounding some prognosticators, Mitt Romney has chosen Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.), the architect of a controversial budget and perceived enemy of Medicare, as his running mate. How does this "game-changing" choice compare to previous vice presidential picks? Here, a look back at other veep selections that took the political establishment by surprise.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week