Confounding some prognosticators, Mitt Romney has chosen Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.), the architect of a controversial budget and perceived enemy of Medicare, as his running mate. How does this "game-changing" choice compare to previous vice presidential picks? Here, a look back at other veep selections that took the political establishment by surprise.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week