Confounding some prognosticators, Mitt Romney has chosen Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.), the architect of a controversial budget and perceived enemy of Medicare, as his running mate. How does this "game-changing" choice compare to previous vice presidential picks? Here, a look back at other veep selections that took the political establishment by surprise.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week