Confounding some prognosticators, Mitt Romney has chosen Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.), the architect of a controversial budget and perceived enemy of Medicare, as his running mate. How does this "game-changing" choice compare to previous vice presidential picks? Here, a look back at other veep selections that took the political establishment by surprise.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
Subscribe to the Week