What started off as an idea scribbled on a bar napkin in 1988 has since evolved into an annual pop-culture event. Discovery Channel's Shark Week attracted close to 30 million viewers last year, not far off the numbers pulled by the 2012 London Games. As the televised summer scare fest winds down, here's a look at seven facts that make these oceanic beasts such delightfully frightening entertainment.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Everything you need to master Chinese cooking
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week