Mitt Romney hit the campaign trail with his new running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, a budget hawk hailed as a bold pick who could transform Romney's battle with Obama from a mudfest into a serious debate. But Ryan's demanding body-sculpting workout got almost as much coverage as his controversial proposal to overhaul Medicare, and Romney's high-risk choice didn't give him much of a bounce in the polls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week