Mitt Romney hit the campaign trail with his new running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, a budget hawk hailed as a bold pick who could transform Romney's battle with Obama from a mudfest into a serious debate. But Ryan's demanding body-sculpting workout got almost as much coverage as his controversial proposal to overhaul Medicare, and Romney's high-risk choice didn't give him much of a bounce in the polls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week