"Mexican Barbie," part of Mattel's "Dolls of the World" collection, wears a fiesta dress, and carries a Chihuahua and a big pink passport. Mattel says all the collection's dolls carry documentation, but Jason Ruiz, a professor at Notre Dame, takes exception. "It is a point of contention and great sensitivity for people of Mexican origin, especially Mexican immigrants," he told ABC News, adding that "[Mexican Americans] are tired of being seen as merely colorful.” Click through for more disputed dolls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week