"Mexican Barbie," part of Mattel's "Dolls of the World" collection, wears a fiesta dress, and carries a Chihuahua and a big pink passport. Mattel says all the collection's dolls carry documentation, but Jason Ruiz, a professor at Notre Dame, takes exception. "It is a point of contention and great sensitivity for people of Mexican origin, especially Mexican immigrants," he told ABC News, adding that "[Mexican Americans] are tired of being seen as merely colorful.” Click through for more disputed dolls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Why Japan is turning to high-tech floating islands to solve its energy needs
Subscribe to the Week