"Mexican Barbie," part of Mattel's "Dolls of the World" collection, wears a fiesta dress, and carries a Chihuahua and a big pink passport. Mattel says all the collection's dolls carry documentation, but Jason Ruiz, a professor at Notre Dame, takes exception. "It is a point of contention and great sensitivity for people of Mexican origin, especially Mexican immigrants," he told ABC News, adding that "[Mexican Americans] are tired of being seen as merely colorful.” Click through for more disputed dolls.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week