After a brutal campaign week, Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) remains the GOP's Senate nominee in Missouri — for now. Akin became a punching bag after declaring that "legitimate rape" victims can't get pregnant, causing key Republicans to beg him to drop out of his once-promising race with Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill. But Akin insists he's in it to win it, and, with plenty of conservative backers, he might actually succeed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week