After a brutal campaign week, Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) remains the GOP's Senate nominee in Missouri — for now. Akin became a punching bag after declaring that "legitimate rape" victims can't get pregnant, causing key Republicans to beg him to drop out of his once-promising race with Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill. But Akin insists he's in it to win it, and, with plenty of conservative backers, he might actually succeed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week