ropical storm or no, some 15,000 activists are expected to swarm the Republican National Convention in Tampa this week, followed by another 10,000 protesters in Charlotte, N.C., for the Democratic National Convention. And whether it's Occupy-like complaints about the 1 percent or conservative critiques of abortion, this year's demonstrations are sure to be quite vocal. Here, a look back at past convention protests:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- How to flirt, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- This Japanese toilet should make Americans very worried
Subscribe to the Week