ropical storm or no, some 15,000 activists are expected to swarm the Republican National Convention in Tampa this week, followed by another 10,000 protesters in Charlotte, N.C., for the Democratic National Convention. And whether it's Occupy-like complaints about the 1 percent or conservative critiques of abortion, this year's demonstrations are sure to be quite vocal. Here, a look back at past convention protests:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week