Tropical storm or no, some 15,000 activists are expected to swarm the Republican National Convention in Tampa this week, followed by another 10,000 protesters in Charlotte, N.C., for the Democratic National Convention. And whether it's Occupy-like complaints about the 1 percent or conservative critiques of abortion, this year's demonstrations are sure to be quite vocal. Here, a look back at past convention protests:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- Cuba should beware of Westerners bearing gifts
Subscribe to the Week