Republican stars and up-and-comers may have the Tampa stage, but convention delegates can draw just as much attention with their wildly flamboyant hats. While it's unclear when the tradition of wearing decorated hats began, the accessories have become increasingly more elaborate over time. Here, a look at some of this year's most eye-catching hats, including this Kansas delegate's.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
Subscribe to the Week