The fall season unofficially kicks off on Sept. 11 with NBC's The New Normal, a sitcom about a gay couple (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who hire a surrogate to have their baby. The series has drawn attention for its politics, but its quality may be what sets it apart. "We haven't been this desperate to join a family since Modern Family premiered," crows E! Online. Click through for more buzzy new offerings...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why America needs more billionaires
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week