The fall season unofficially kicks off on Sept. 11 with NBC's The New Normal, a sitcom about a gay couple (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who hire a surrogate to have their baby. The series has drawn attention for its politics, but its quality may be what sets it apart. "We haven't been this desperate to join a family since Modern Family premiered," crows E! Online. Click through for more buzzy new offerings...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week