The fall season unofficially kicks off on Sept. 11 with NBC's The New Normal, a sitcom about a gay couple (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who hire a surrogate to have their baby. The series has drawn attention for its politics, but its quality may be what sets it apart. "We haven't been this desperate to join a family since Modern Family premiered," crows E! Online. Click through for more buzzy new offerings...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week