The fall season unofficially kicks off on Sept. 11 with NBC's The New Normal, a sitcom about a gay couple (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who hire a surrogate to have their baby. The series has drawn attention for its politics, but its quality may be what sets it apart. "We haven't been this desperate to join a family since Modern Family premiered," crows E! Online. Click through for more buzzy new offerings...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week