The fall season unofficially kicks off on Sept. 11 with NBC's The New Normal, a sitcom about a gay couple (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who hire a surrogate to have their baby. The series has drawn attention for its politics, but its quality may be what sets it apart. "We haven't been this desperate to join a family since Modern Family premiered," crows E! Online. Click through for more buzzy new offerings...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week