When Barack Obama delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention he was an unknown state senator from Illinois. But his words, which some consider the defining political speech of a generation, catapulted him into the Oval Office a mere four years later. Since then, the media has repeatedly slapped promising pols with the title "The Next Obama." Here, a look at past and current Obamas-in-waiting:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why are newspaper comics so terrible?
- The GOP's best response to Obama's immigration move: Toothless griping
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
- The psychology of bribery and corruption
Subscribe to the Week