When Barack Obama delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention he was an unknown state senator from Illinois. But his words, which some consider the defining political speech of a generation, catapulted him into the Oval Office a mere four years later. Since then, the media has repeatedly slapped promising pols with the title "The Next Obama." Here, a look at past and current Obamas-in-waiting:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week