hen Barack Obama delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention he was an unknown state senator from Illinois. But his words, which some consider the defining political speech of a generation, catapulted him into the Oval Office a mere four years later. Since then, the media has repeatedly slapped promising pols with the title "The Next Obama." Here, a look at past and current Obamas-in-waiting:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week