hen Barack Obama delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention he was an unknown state senator from Illinois. But his words, which some consider the defining political speech of a generation, catapulted him into the Oval Office a mere four years later. Since then, the media has repeatedly slapped promising pols with the title "The Next Obama." Here, a look at past and current Obamas-in-waiting:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- What liberals get wrong about having kids
- Attack of the invasive species
Subscribe to the Week