When Barack Obama delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention he was an unknown state senator from Illinois. But his words, which some consider the defining political speech of a generation, catapulted him into the Oval Office a mere four years later. Since then, the media has repeatedly slapped promising pols with the title "The Next Obama." Here, a look at past and current Obamas-in-waiting:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- 9 negative effects divorce reportedly has on children
Subscribe to the Week