A mother, daughter, and table ride a motor scooter to Nangang Primary School in rural China. Out of the 5,000 students who live in this rural township, about 3,000 had to bring their own desks and chairs to school. Click through for a look at more of the week's most engaging photos from around the world.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week