U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens, a veteran diplomat, was killed when protesters overran the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. While much of the mob was enraged by an anti-Muslim video circulating on the internet, U.S. and Libyan officials now believe that hardcore militants may have used the spontaneous riots as a cover to attack the consulate, possibly to coincide with the 11th anniversary of 9/11.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week