U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens, a veteran diplomat, was killed when protesters overran the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. While much of the mob was enraged by an anti-Muslim video circulating on the internet, U.S. and Libyan officials now believe that hardcore militants may have used the spontaneous riots as a cover to attack the consulate, possibly to coincide with the 11th anniversary of 9/11.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- California's epic drought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
Subscribe to the Week