An Indian devotee carries the head of the Hindu god Ganesh, the deity of prosperity, after immersing it in the Bay of Bengal during the 10-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival in the southern Indian city of Chennai. The dip in the sea symbolizes a ritual seeing-off of Ganesh's journey home, taking with him the misfortunes of mankind.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week