n Indian devotee carries the head of the Hindu god Ganesh, the deity of prosperity, after immersing it in the Bay of Bengal during the 10-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival in the southern Indian city of Chennai. The dip in the sea symbolizes a ritual seeing-off of Ganesh's journey home, taking with him the misfortunes of mankind.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week