An Indian devotee carries the head of the Hindu god Ganesh, the deity of prosperity, after immersing it in the Bay of Bengal during the 10-day Ganesh Chaturthi festival in the southern Indian city of Chennai. The dip in the sea symbolizes a ritual seeing-off of Ganesh's journey home, taking with him the misfortunes of mankind.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week