ew jobs are more thankless than hosting the Oscars — just ask David Letterman — but Hollywood's best, brightest, and most masochistic continue to try. On Monday, the Academy announced that Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane will brave the job next February 24. Our advice: Scrutinize the 84 previous Academy Awards telecasts for helpful tips. Here, 9 lessons from the best hosts in Oscar history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week