Few jobs are more thankless than hosting the Oscars — just ask David Letterman — but Hollywood's best, brightest, and most masochistic continue to try. On Monday, the Academy announced that Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane will brave the job next February 24. Our advice: Scrutinize the 84 previous Academy Awards telecasts for helpful tips. Here, 9 lessons from the best hosts in Oscar history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week