Few jobs are more thankless than hosting the Oscars — just ask David Letterman — but Hollywood's best, brightest, and most masochistic continue to try. On Monday, the Academy announced that Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane will brave the job next February 24. Our advice: Scrutinize the 84 previous Academy Awards telecasts for helpful tips. Here, 9 lessons from the best hosts in Oscar history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why America needs more billionaires
- 6 simple steps for making millions on a crappy horror movie
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week