Few jobs are more thankless than hosting the Oscars — just ask David Letterman — but Hollywood's best, brightest, and most masochistic continue to try. On Monday, the Academy announced that Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane will brave the job next February 24. Our advice: Scrutinize the 84 previous Academy Awards telecasts for helpful tips. Here, 9 lessons from the best hosts in Oscar history:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
Subscribe to the Week