Dust off your tuxedos and get your martini shakers ready, 007 fans: The film franchise is turning 50. It's been a busy half-century for the superspy, who has been played by six different actors in no less than 22 films — with a 23rd, titled Skyfall, set for release on Nov. 9. With so many choices, who is the best James Bond? Here, critics make the case for six actors who gave us five decades of 007:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
Subscribe to the Week