Dust off your tuxedos and get your martini shakers ready, 007 fans: The film franchise is turning 50. It's been a busy half-century for the superspy, who has been played by six different actors in no less than 22 films — with a 23rd, titled Skyfall, set for release on Nov. 9. With so many choices, who is the best James Bond? Here, critics make the case for six actors who gave us five decades of 007:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week