When someone bases a costume on a man accused of killing 12 people in a movie theater, Halloween becomes much less sweet. Recently, an eBay seller tried to auction this mask resembling suspected Colorado gunman James Holmes, before eBay pulled it from the site. Sadly, this isn't the first time someone ripped an idea for a criminal costume from the headlines. A look back at some of the most distasteful offerings:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week