When someone bases a costume on a man accused of killing 12 people in a movie theater, Halloween becomes much less sweet. Recently, an eBay seller tried to auction this mask resembling suspected Colorado gunman James Holmes, before eBay pulled it from the site. Sadly, this isn't the first time someone ripped an idea for a criminal costume from the headlines. A look back at some of the most distasteful offerings:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week