When someone bases a costume on a man accused of killing 12 people in a movie theater, Halloween becomes much less sweet. Recently, an eBay seller tried to auction this mask resembling suspected Colorado gunman James Holmes, before eBay pulled it from the site. Sadly, this isn't the first time someone ripped an idea for a criminal costume from the headlines. A look back at some of the most distasteful offerings:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week