When someone bases a costume on a man accused of killing 12 people in a movie theater, Halloween becomes much less sweet. Recently, an eBay seller tried to auction this mask resembling suspected Colorado gunman James Holmes, before eBay pulled it from the site. Sadly, this isn't the first time someone ripped an idea for a criminal costume from the headlines. A look back at some of the most distasteful offerings:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week