When someone bases a costume on a man accused of killing 12 people in a movie theater, Halloween becomes much less sweet. Recently, an eBay seller tried to auction this mask resembling suspected Colorado gunman James Holmes, before eBay pulled it from the site. Sadly, this isn't the first time someone ripped an idea for a criminal costume from the headlines. A look back at some of the most distasteful offerings:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- The militarization of America’s police
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
Subscribe to the Week