ews that Beyonce is headlining the Super Bowl XLVII halftime show on Feb. 3 in New Orleans wasn't even official before fans uniformly heralded the selection of the "Single Ladies" diva. "Perfect choice," gushed Rickey.org. "So excited for this." Super Bowl halftime is a coveted gig for musicians, but it also sets them up for harsh critiques. Indeed, many stars first lauded as perfect are later pilloried as the "worst ever." A look back at other "perfect" picks:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- The end of academic freedom?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week