News that Beyonce is headlining the Super Bowl XLVII halftime show on Feb. 3 in New Orleans wasn't even official before fans uniformly heralded the selection of the "Single Ladies" diva. "Perfect choice," gushed Rickey.org. "So excited for this." Super Bowl halftime is a coveted gig for musicians, but it also sets them up for harsh critiques. Indeed, many stars first lauded as perfect are later pilloried as the "worst ever." A look back at other "perfect" picks:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week