News that Beyonce is headlining the Super Bowl XLVII halftime show on Feb. 3 in New Orleans wasn't even official before fans uniformly heralded the selection of the "Single Ladies" diva. "Perfect choice," gushed Rickey.org. "So excited for this." Super Bowl halftime is a coveted gig for musicians, but it also sets them up for harsh critiques. Indeed, many stars first lauded as perfect are later pilloried as the "worst ever." A look back at other "perfect" picks:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week