News that Beyonce is headlining the Super Bowl XLVII halftime show on Feb. 3 in New Orleans wasn't even official before fans uniformly heralded the selection of the "Single Ladies" diva. "Perfect choice," gushed Rickey.org. "So excited for this." Super Bowl halftime is a coveted gig for musicians, but it also sets them up for harsh critiques. Indeed, many stars first lauded as perfect are later pilloried as the "worst ever." A look back at other "perfect" picks:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- How I lost all my money
Subscribe to the Week