As Hurricane Sandy churns up the eastern United States coastline, cities are preparing for the worst. Some residents are fleeing. Others are stocking up on staples. Airlines are canceling flights. Schools are closing. And some of the country's most crowded subways are eerily empty. As the East Coast battens down the hatches, let's take a look at some seriously ominous images:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week