As Hurricane Sandy churns up the eastern United States coastline, cities are preparing for the worst. Some residents are fleeing. Others are stocking up on staples. Airlines are canceling flights. Schools are closing. And some of the country's most crowded subways are eerily empty. As the East Coast battens down the hatches, let's take a look at some seriously ominous images:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
Subscribe to the Week