As Hurricane Sandy churns up the eastern United States coastline, cities are preparing for the worst. Some residents are fleeing. Others are stocking up on staples. Airlines are canceling flights. Schools are closing. And some of the country's most crowded subways are eerily empty. As the East Coast battens down the hatches, let's take a look at some seriously ominous images:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week