As Hurricane Sandy churns up the eastern United States coastline, cities are preparing for the worst. Some residents are fleeing. Others are stocking up on staples. Airlines are canceling flights. Schools are closing. And some of the country's most crowded subways are eerily empty. As the East Coast battens down the hatches, let's take a look at some seriously ominous images:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- What's wrong with Europe’s economy?
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
Subscribe to the Week