s Hurricane Sandy churns up the eastern United States coastline, cities are preparing for the worst. Some residents are fleeing. Others are stocking up on staples. Airlines are canceling flights. Schools are closing. And some of the country's most crowded subways are eerily empty. As the East Coast battens down the hatches, let's take a look at some seriously ominous images:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week