As a weakened Hurricane Sandy makes its way north, East Coast residents like Brian Jakeski of Brick, N.J., are beginning to assess the devastation in their neighborhoods, and it's not pretty. The monster storm left an estimated $20 billion worth of damage in its wake, at least 8.5 million homes and businesses without power, and at least 50 people in the U.S. dead. Here, some of the more shocking pictures of the storm's wrath.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week