As a weakened Hurricane Sandy makes its way north, East Coast residents like Brian Jakeski of Brick, N.J., are beginning to assess the devastation in their neighborhoods, and it's not pretty. The monster storm left an estimated $20 billion worth of damage in its wake, at least 8.5 million homes and businesses without power, and at least 50 people in the U.S. dead. Here, some of the more shocking pictures of the storm's wrath.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The next pandemic
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week