As a weakened Hurricane Sandy makes its way north, East Coast residents like Brian Jakeski of Brick, N.J., are beginning to assess the devastation in their neighborhoods, and it's not pretty. The monster storm left an estimated $20 billion worth of damage in its wake, at least 8.5 million homes and businesses without power, and at least 50 people in the U.S. dead. Here, some of the more shocking pictures of the storm's wrath.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week