As a weakened Hurricane Sandy makes its way north, East Coast residents like Brian Jakeski of Brick, N.J., are beginning to assess the devastation in their neighborhoods, and it's not pretty. The monster storm left an estimated $20 billion worth of damage in its wake, at least 8.5 million homes and businesses without power, and at least 50 people in the U.S. dead. Here, some of the more shocking pictures of the storm's wrath.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
Subscribe to the Week