Hurricane Sandy, which was later downgraded to a superstorm, tore across the mid-Atlantic region early this week, destroying homes, leaving millions without power, and bringing the regional economy to a virtual standstill. The death toll had reached 98 by Thursday, as authorities began what is expected to be a long and painful reconstruction process. Here's how you can help.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
Subscribe to the Week