he president cruised to re-election, defeating Mitt Romney 332-206 in the Electoral College. Obama's winning 2008 coalition came through for him again, and his virtual lock on Latino and younger voters suggested that the Democratic Party could win national elections for years to come. However, critics argue that the president, who won just a bit more than 50 percent of the popular vote, had not secured a mandate.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week