Somehow the pet industry manages to sell $55 billion a year worth of products, despite the fact that it shills things like dog panties. The specialized short shorts — which come in cummerbund, panty, and thong styles — claim to help protect homes from the young and the incontinent, prevent unwanted pregnancies, and, of course, project a sassy sensibility. A look at eight more frivolous pet products:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week