Egyptian protesters took to the streets in response to a power grab by President Mohamed Morsi, raising concerns that the country's fledgling democracy could be on the brink of collapse. Among other issues, Morsi is forging ahead with a referendum on a new constitution drafted by his Islamist allies, prompting accusations that Morsi is trying to turn Egypt into an autocratic theocracy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Hey, GOP: American exceptionalism demands compassion at the border
Subscribe to the Week