Egyptian protesters took to the streets in response to a power grab by President Mohamed Morsi, raising concerns that the country's fledgling democracy could be on the brink of collapse. Among other issues, Morsi is forging ahead with a referendum on a new constitution drafted by his Islamist allies, prompting accusations that Morsi is trying to turn Egypt into an autocratic theocracy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
Subscribe to the Week