boy prepares to snorkel in front of the wreckage of the capsized cruise liner Costa Concordia. The Italian cruise ship was carrying more than 4,000 passengers when it ran aground and capsized near the Tuscan coast. Thirty-two people were lost in the tragic accident on January 13. Click through for a look at more of the year's most eye-catching images from around the globe.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- When is it okay for progressives to vote against a Democrat?
Subscribe to the Week