Bell towers, also known as "belfry," were traditionally built as a way to signify time. The bells would ring to call people to church for worship or warn people of dangers, like fires. Bell towers still exist today, like in this four-bedroom Spanish Colonial Revival–style home, in Osprey, Fla. Click through for a look at more homes with this unique architectural addition. For more information on any of the homes in this slideshow, please contact the realtors listed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week